Another Saturday night...
...right now, I should be in Vermont.
I had reserved a room at a nice bed and breakfast. I had set up a car rental for the trip.
There was just one thing I hadn’t counted on...
...So, it’s been a busy week. I’d been running around much of Wednesday. The litany of laundry, bills, post office, CostCo and comics. At the end of the day, the good news that the car was ready and going to pick it up so I finally had the car back. Finding out that what it had been all along wasn’t the crankshaft sensor ($300+) or the fuel pump and fuel filter (another $300 +) but was in fact a small electronic switch the sits just inside the engine compartment and which controls the flow of fuel to the engine.
This is something so small the dealership ate the cost of the part (which for them to do had to be minuscule indeed). Anyway, I got the car back which was the important thing.
Thursday was a whirlwind going into the city and a trip to the doctor, coffee with Brian (who’ll be married by this time next week), lunch with Jack and then a movie with Roberta (yes, Tomb Raider 2 was very enjoyable thank you very much).
Since last weekend, I had a bit of a scratchy throat and my nose had been running. I had ringing in my ears (again - I don’t even want to think about the last time something like this happened and I wound up in the hospital). Obviously, nothing serious as I kept pushing away trying to get things done (which is remarkably similar to what I did the last time before I wound up in the hospital).
Yeah, I felt a little tired after trying to get some of the lawn done on Tuesday (and finding myself falling off for a few hours after I finished). I got a little worried though when I noticed the gland under my right armpit had become swollen and noticed my neck was bothering me (soreness). That combined with the throat made me take the trip to the doctor.
So, the doctor looks me over and the gland has gone down. My throat is red and my nose is still running (but I’m in nowhere near as bad a shape as this other girl in the waiting room who seems to be in the process of coughing up a lung). He prescribes some antibiotic and I go through my day making all the appointments on my social calendar.
Then, Friday comes...
...and wow! Damned if I don’t feel really, really bad. The mark of good health is how unawares you are taken by not feeling well. Achy all over, this really incredibly sharp pounding pain in my sinuses which just makes my head feel as if it’s a balloon about to pop. Turns out I’ve managed to get a really good fever going to, I’m cresting 100°. Then, there’s this really nice pain in my stomach as well. This is definitely not going to be one of my better days.
Friday is a blur as the TV stays on giving the backdrop of noise as I drift in and out of sleep. I wake up and it’s 9:30 in the morning. I’m up for a little bit and when I wake up again it’s around 1pm and that’s the way the day goes. I’m not walking around much and the bed just seems to be the perfect place to be (not that I have much choice in the matter).
I’m sick, I know I’m sick and as much as I don’t want to be it’s not like I have much choice in the matter. Over the last few years I’ve had to take a couple of trips to the local emergency room: weird stuff happening like not being able to hear at all (earlier this year) or the phantom fever that struck one Friday afternoon (shot up to 104°) and then disappeared just as mysteriously, and truth be told it’s not a lot of fun and I’d just as soon avoid it.
So, Saturday comes and I wake up and it’s 6:30 in the morning. The fever has broken (I can’t tell you how I know but, I can feel it). The dull throbbing pain has subsided and I’m just going to get up and get ready for the drive up to Vermont and pick up the rental and get all ready but... maybe I’ll just lay down for a bit cause yeah, I’m feeling much better than yesterday but, I still feel a little tired and...
...I wake up and it’s 9:30. And, I’m going to get up right now cause the day is going past and I have to get over and pick up the rental car and we have to get moving if we’re going to get up there and it should be a nice drive but, I’m feeling a little tired and...
...I wake up and it’s 10:30.
So, here it is almost 10 at night on Saturday. I’m not in Vermont. I offered up the room to our friends (since it was paid for anyway) but, the day was pretty much left over to sleep and I’m hoping sometime around Monday I’ll be back to normal.
No comments:
Post a Comment